Saturday, September 10, 2011

Six Sentence Sunday #21: Reflections upon a mother's overreaction

Please check out other samples from participating Six Sentence Sunday authors at  http://www.sixsunday.com/.

For today's Six Sentence Sunday, I'm returning to my Regency paranormal romance, A Woman of Proper Accomplishments. Here, we see the protagonist's mother reacting after an incident that, while serious in nature overall, only resulted in a sprained ankle:


"You are not free of distress," Helena's mother said. "You are a cripple now. Oh, Mr. Preston, our daughter is a cripple! She cannot even be a governess if she is a cripple. Sophia, you must take your sister in when you marry. She injured herself to protect you.”








20 comments:

Unknown said...

Well done. Love the borderline hysteria that comes out, especially knowing it's only a sprain.

sue said...

sounds like my mother - overreaction at any cost. Good snippet

Taryn Kincaid said...

Nice Regency voice.

Sarah Grimm said...

Oh boy, I have a mother in law just like that! Well done!

Aimee Laine said...

Awe. So sad! I hope she shows them all up!

Sandy Nachlinger said...

I'm glad you prefaced your post by telling us it was only a sprained ankle. Otherwise, we'd have thought the poor girl was doomed to spinsterhood. Great voice and great snippet.

mariedees said...

Love the mother is this! Actually, I think I know the mother in this.

Cate Masters said...

Excellent portrayal of the times. I think my mother grew up in that era, lol

lexcade said...

Haha. Moms are good for that. Great six!

Alix said...

Beautifully written six, the pace and voice are perfect.

Cara Bristol said...

OMG...how wonderfully over the top. Yes, I know people like that.

Gem Sivad said...

Mama is going to see to all of her chicks. Great voice!

Chrystalla Thoma said...

Ugh, makes me wonder what happened to her and in which way she's crippled... Well done!

J.A. Beard said...

Thanks for all your comments.

Karysa Faire said...

Poor Helena! So glad my mom is not like that. . . .Great job with characterization.

Jessica E. Subject said...

I can vividly picture the character here. Well done!

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I'd hate to see her reaction if she'd really been injured. Great emotion and dramatics in this six :)

Anonymous said...

Love the over-reaction! Mums... :-)

Sherry Gloag said...

I couldn't help thinking of Mrs. bennet in Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice :-) Great 6.

1000th.monkey said...

Wow, now there's an overreaction... thank goodness my mom was never like this!