Saturday, May 28, 2011

Six Sentence Sunday #8: We Bring Good Words To Life

This week I return to my Regency paranormal romance WIP, A Woman of Proper Accomplishments. This takes place far earlier than my previous sixes. In this scene, Mr. Morgan, a visiting gentleman from London, demonstrates for Helena and her sister spiritus, a rare talent that allows someone to literally breathe life into inanimate objects and command them. He's chosen a book for his demonstration:





Helena had just opened her mouth to comment on how amusing she found the whole affair when the novel  rolled onto its side. With a snapping of covers and a fluttering of pages, the book scuttled along the floor in a hurried manner like some frightened paper creature. As it opened and closed, it pulled itself toward the wall with a surprising swiftness given it lacked legs, wings, or anything resembling an efficient means of propelling itself. In a matter of moments, the book had scampered to the wall. After a final spurt of its self-turning pages, it fell forward and produced a quiet thud.

Helena blinked several times, her heart pounding. 






For other snippets from a variety of wonderful authors writing in many genres or if you want to get involved yourself, please visit sixsunday.blogspot.com.

16 comments:

AllureVanSanz said...

This reminds me of Harry Potter quite a bit. I remember how hard I laughed in the movie theater when the book attacked.

Thanks for the smile, and the very cute six!

Best,
Allure

Pippa Jay said...

Cool! Could you teach it to come when you whistle? I'd love a book that came at my call. :)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful descriptions!

Marie Dees said...

Oh, I'm not sure how I feel about scurrying books. The lack of rain here meant a giant palmetto bug in the house last night and anything rustling is still making me jump and run.

Anonymous said...

Nice job planting the reader in the scene

Anonymous said...

shoot - forgot my name - the above belongs to me - Lyncee

JoAnne Kenrick said...

fantastic imagery here, fab six! What on earth has her so amusing in that book? Was it the Karma Sutra? Okay, i want to read more to find out what happens next! FAB SIX!

Sarah Grimm said...

LOL! I love Pippa's comment! I would love that, too!

Great six! Can't imagine being a witness to something like that. I would blink a few times, myself.

Anonymous said...

lol, great description. Reminded me of The Book of Dangerous Creatures (or whatever it was called) from Harry Potter. Fab six!

Elisa Dane said...

What a fun six! Loved the imagery :)

Cate Masters said...

That would startle me too! But I love when books literally come to life. :)

Carolyn Rosewood said...

What wonderful imagery!

J.A. Beard said...

I had to smash a centipede in my apartment today. I could have used a self-propelled bug smashing book.

For the record, the book in the scene was The History of Tom Jones, A Foundling.

By the standards of the time (this story is set in slightly more magical 1811 with some deviations in the Napoleonic Wars but otherwise is very similar to the real Regency) it was somewhat edgy. Though I also reference "The Monk" in this story, and that novel is considerably more lurid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_History_of_Tom_Jones,_a_Foundling

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monk

Jean Davis said...

Great scene! I'd love a book that could come to me. I'm always leaving them around the house, and inveritably not where I sit down. :)

Gem Sivad said...

I like the description. I pictured the book crawling away as she watched. Great six!

Hailey Edwards said...

How very cool. Now that is a talent I'd love to have.